In between painting many many parts, I have been slowly slowly working on the body. To get away from this long term project, I have got for the quick win: the wheel, which are nearly all of Section 15. You'll note the front wheels have these white covers on them, but the wheels themselves are … Continue reading [Epsiode 16] A quick win: Wheels
[Episode 15] Section 1 Sub-assemblies
Fuel Filler Necks For the fuel filler necks, I filed off the molded hose clamps and replaced them with photo-etched hose clamps and tiny screws. I painted in the red- and yellow-tinted fittings and covered with some clear het-shrink tube. Photo-etched weld beads were added as well. Both necks are molded with a hole for … Continue reading [Episode 15] Section 1 Sub-assemblies
[Episode 14] Section 6 (Engine block) completed!
The first complete section of the do-over is complete - Section 6, which is the engine block build. This is the first assembly completed as I need the block, plus a few other parts which mount it to the body, so I can test the fit the engine and transmission to the body. Photos of … Continue reading [Episode 14] Section 6 (Engine block) completed!
[13 and a bit] Bodywork – and door hinges!
Another quick update on the progress of the bodywork - that is, on getting the doors fitting into the main monocoque. Since the last post I have glued the door parts together and spent yet more time bending, prodding, swearing etc to get a reasonable fit on the doors. I focussed on getting the body … Continue reading [13 and a bit] Bodywork – and door hinges!
 More bodywork, more parts
I have been preparing more and more parts, as they are needed to fit to the body parts I have been prepping the parets and readying them for paint. Parts for Sections 6 and 7 (the engine block and some accessories) have been painted and should show up in a future post. For now, some … Continue reading  More bodywork, more parts
[Episode 12] Preparing all sorts of parts (and fixing one)
Since my last post I haven't painted anything... I have instead been working through the body parts, preparing them, test fitting various parts to them, and while I was there anyway I have been preparing many of the smaller parts that fit to the body and chassis. Here are some (not all) of the parts … Continue reading [Episode 12] Preparing all sorts of parts (and fixing one)
[11 1/2] Preparing engine parts
A short update on the engine. All parts for the short block - Section 6 - and for the engine accessories added as Section 7 are now ready for paint. These parts are all metal - white metal and some alumnium shims - and have been cleaned up, drilled, test fit, polished... There are 35 … Continue reading [11 1/2] Preparing engine parts
 Test fitting the body
While prepping the engine parts proceeds (a short update will follow in my next post), I have also begun preparing parts for the body. As I mentioned in Episode 7, there are quite a lot of parts that make uop the body, or are needed to fit the body. Here are all the parts needed … Continue reading  Test fitting the body
[10 1/2] Test fitting the engine
With the engine block shims in place, and one of the mounting brackets modified, we can finally test that the engine block will fit to the top and bottom plates, air intake and exhaust manifolds. We'll do this by keeping the block mounted to the fuel cell (RE12), which will also let us check the … Continue reading [10 1/2] Test fitting the engine
 Test fitting the engine: another part that doesn’t fit
SO, happily test fitting parts to the engine block, I discover that bracket M253 does not fit. This bracket helps hold the block and engine top plate to the fuel cell/firewall. I looked at the wreckage of my first attempt building this kit and it seems that if one can get the bracket to fit … Continue reading  Test fitting the engine: another part that doesn’t fit