The idea of this post was that, now that many parts are painted, it's time to just stick things together. In reality I have repaired areas of damaged paint a number of times, but didn't take any photos and mostly tried to blot them out from my mind. Much of Sections 4 and 5 are … Continue reading Sticking things together – Section 4, 5, 9
No commentary today; just some photos of Section 3. Front suspension and radiator are done.
Things are moving along now that the hard work of painting the body is behind me - I have completed assembly of Sections 1 and 2, which address the building up of the monocoque, fuel cell and dashboard. Nearly 2/3 of the model's parts are completed! Before we get to the (partly) completed body, some … Continue reading Sections 1 and 2 are DONE!
Just a short post because, as promised, the side pods and undertray have been painted - with all their carbon fiber decals as well! And here are the photos: Side pods, closer upFor the undertray, carbon fiber is on the underside
Yes, after six months and three attempts, the body and doors ar finally painted! The last steps were to paint the interior/carbon fiber parts black, add the carbon fiber decals, and seal them with a semi-gloss topcoat. Here then are the pictures: Interior surfaces all painted blackThe painted doors, with carbon fiber on the interior … Continue reading OMG the body is painted!
As I write this, my spreadsheet is telling me that I have completed 53% of the model - so in one way I am over the halfway mark. Well, sortof, because the Mazda is a monocoque, and with the body still being painted, I can't attach all the completed assemblies to anything yet. And speaking … Continue reading We hit the halfway mark (sortof)!
The Mazda will be lit up using LED lighting, similar to the lighting in the Ferrari 250 GTO. The headlights, indicators, tail/brake lights, rain light and rooftop warning light will all work. I will put a row of switches on the display base so that spectators can play with the lights. In this post, I … Continue reading Bringing the magic of LED lighting
Well, some much happier news after the decals and paint debacle... the monocoque and doors have been repainted, and the side pods and undertray have also been painted! New decals have been sourced and applied to all six of these pieces. For the kit decals I had to remove, I ordered a replacement set of … Continue reading Third time’s the charm for painting the body!
The very bad news is that I had some large problems with decals, and repainting of much of the body and doors will be required. Be gentle, I'm still grieveing, but here is the story. I was using Model Factory Hiro's extra set of line decals, but the set I purchased had some problems... I … Continue reading Very bad decal news: Rerepainting
Well, its been three months, but I have finally progressed the painting of the monocoque and doors. The exterior colour coats are done, ready for decals to be appplied. For the fluorescent orange, I settled on a base colour of Tamiya TS-98 Pure Orange, which gives me good coverage over the primer, and then TS-96 … Continue reading Repainting the monocoque – exterior colours