In this post I am going to describe my process for making custom carbon fibre decals. When I first wrote this post I was working on the decals for carbon fibre parts in Section 3, which deals with the front suspension and radiator. Here is an excerpt of the instrucitons showing the parts in question … Continue reading [Episode 8] Creating Carbon Fibre decals
Things are moving along now that the hard work of painting the body is behind me - I have completed assembly of Sections 1 and 2, which address the building up of the monocoque, fuel cell and dashboard. Nearly 2/3 of the model's parts are completed! Before we get to the (partly) completed body, some … Continue reading Sections 1 and 2 are DONE!
Yes, after six months and three attempts, the body and doors ar finally painted! The last steps were to paint the interior/carbon fiber parts black, add the carbon fiber decals, and seal them with a semi-gloss topcoat. Here then are the pictures: Interior surfaces all painted blackThe painted doors, with carbon fiber on the interior … Continue reading OMG the body is painted!
Well, some much happier news after the decals and paint debacle... the monocoque and doors have been repainted, and the side pods and undertray have also been painted! New decals have been sourced and applied to all six of these pieces. For the kit decals I had to remove, I ordered a replacement set of … Continue reading Third time’s the charm for painting the body!
Well, its been three months, but I have finally progressed the painting of the monocoque and doors. The exterior colour coats are done, ready for decals to be appplied. For the fluorescent orange, I settled on a base colour of Tamiya TS-98 Pure Orange, which gives me good coverage over the primer, and then TS-96 … Continue reading Repainting the monocoque – exterior colours
Well, my plans for painting the body - so far, the monocoque (part RE3) and the doors - have failed. I have in fact unpublished the plans as they are dud, and I wouldn't want anyone following me down that particular garden path. The broad idea was: To paint the interior black (acrylic), then mask … Continue reading Plans fail: Repainting the body
Fuel Cell and Piping Just the one photo of a mostly complete fuel cell with a bunch of piping and wiring on it. Most of these lines are additional to the Model Factory Hiro kit, and are based on reference photos like the one I have included here (from Super Detail File: Mazda 787B). Note … Continue reading Section 1 Bigger Sub-assemblies
Section 1 continues... slowly. I am still prepping the monocoque and doors, but have begun to assemble some small sub-assemblies. My progress chart now tells me I have completed 4% of the model (probably optimistically as the number of parts will increase a bit as I add decals). Fuel Filler Necks As previously mentioned, I … Continue reading Section 1 Sub-assemblies
Painting This past week I have been prepping and painting parts for Section 1 and 2 - basically the monocoque (RE3), the fuel cell and some body fittings. RE3 has been prepped ... it doesn't look much different from last week, but all the holes for attaching parts have been drilled - even those for … Continue reading Painting Begins, Carbon Fibre Begins